Maitake Wild Rice Salad
March 11, 2021 • 0 comments
From The Mushroom Council - This simple salad pairs the tender yet hearty maitake mushrooms with nutty wild rice and crunchy walnuts. It is served at room temperature or chilled so you can take it along to your next picnic or potluck. You’ll need cooked and cooled wild rice before tossing this recipe together so be sure to plan ahead.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 6
- (1/2 cup) Walnuts, raw
- (2 Tbsp) Extra virgin olive oil
- (2 Tbsp) Yellow onion, finely chopped
- (1 pint) Maitake Mushrooms
- (1 tsp) Lemon juice
- (1 tsp) Salt and pepper
- (1 cup) dry wild rice, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- (1 Tbsp) fresh chives, chopped
- Toast the walnut pieces over medium-high heat in a large, dry skillet. Stir often and cook for 3 minutes, or until you begin to smell their nutty aroma. Remove from the heat and transfer the nuts to a bowl to cool.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and return it to medium heat. Add the onions. Cook, stirring often for 1 minute. The onion will begin to turn golden brown in spots as it cooks in the oil. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. They will soften and shrink, but still have a somewhat firm bite. Stir in the walnuts and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir well and let cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the rice to a large bowl. Add the mushrooms. Toss to mix the ingredients. Sprinkle with chives before serving at room temperature or chilled.
Click here to read the recipe on the Mushroom Council's website!